Mariachi Students from US and Mexico gather to learn from virtuosos
The National City Tourism Marketing District (NCTMD) and the Unified Port of San Diego invite mariachi students to participate in two daysof comprehensive mariachi workshops that include instruction from some of mariachi’s most renowned artists. Classes cover instruction in guitarrón, guitar, trumpet, violin, vihuela, harp and voice. Entre fees include lunch for participants on both dates of the workshop. Submit applications to email@example.com / Fax (619) 477-5018.
- Rigoberto Alfaro, Musical Director
- Sergio Caratachea, Violin Master Instructor
- Javier Rodriguez, Trumpet Master Instructor
- Jonathan Clark, Mariachi Historian
- Heriberto Molina, Voice Master Instructor
- Eddy Lopez, Harmonia Master Instructor
- Eduardo Martinez Munoz, Writer
- Mario De Santiago, 2016 Conference Honoree and Harmonia Master Instructor
- UTPA – University of Texas Pan American Mariachi Aztlan
The workshops will be held on March 11 and 12 at the University of San Diego. The enrollment period ends February 19. Space is limited. Explore hotel options at www.VisitNationalCity.com. Special rates offered at the Clarion Hotel, National City for $89/night.
The workshops are part of the National City Mariachi Festival & Competition. Workshop participants may participate in the mariachi competition at Pepper Park in National City on the third day of the program. Cash prizes will be awarded to the winners of the competition in both the middle school and high school divisions. First place will receive $1,000, second place $500, and third place $250. Plus, stay and enjoy live performances by Mariachi Feminil Nuevo Tecalitlan and Javier Rodriguez y Los Aventureros.
Festival and Competition accommodations have been improved this year to include:
- Separate Private Dressing Tents for Females and Males
- Back Stage Seating Area with Shade and Snacks for Performers
- Water provided for all competitors
- Competition will be held first, followed by live Showcase and Featured Performances
- Shade structure for public audience
- Photo Opportunities with free 4×6 printouts available immediately for competing Mariachi groups
- Professional judges including Javier Rodriguez and Serafin Paredes
- Dedicated Award Ceremony with Trophy Presentation and Photo Opportunities on stage
- Certificates of Recognition for Each Participating Group
More information may be found at www.mariachifest.com